If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
F.W.D. Front Wheel Drive. Improved Carburetter and Magneto Con struction. Sphinx Sparking Plug.
Copies of complete specifications of the patents published on this page can be obtained from the Sales Branch, Patent Office, Holborn, W.C., at the cost of sixpence for each specification.
W. P. THOMPSON, No. 6576, dated 3rd May, 1915 (communicated by the Four 1.I.T1eel Drive Auto Co., of the 'United States of America).—Each front wheel of a car is supported
from the front axle by a ball and socket joint. The tubular front axle carries a hollow spherical enlargement at each end, with pivot posts projecting from it top arid bottom, and the stub-axle for the wheel, which is also hollow, has a spherical socket fitting over the enlargement of the front axle and provided with bearings for the pivot posts. The socket is in segments bolted -together, and one of these carries an ear for connection to the steering gear. Drive is imparted to the wheel by a driving axle which passes through the hollow cross and stub-axles, is provided with a universal coupling in the centre of the ball and socket joint, and has a dog-clutch connection to the wheel at its outer end. • G. E. N. MicnAux, No. 3026, of 1915, dated under International Convention, 24thr March, 1914. In this caibutetter the main air inlet is arranged on a slope, and it is controlled by a piston which can be raised or lowered, the dyawings showing two positions of it. The fuel-jet is carried on the piston and communicates by a telescopic tube with a space supplied from the float-feed chamber. It follows, therefore, that when the piston is raised, the height of the jet above the fuel level is also raised and the quantity of fuel drawn in is diminished.
Above the fuel-jet there is mounted a tube which telescopes into a tube in the upper part of the easing this tube is slotted and is open to atmosphere, so that the engine suction draws air in through the vertical tube, such air impinging directly on the fuel-jet.
A. ICELLErt-DortrAN, No. 23,628 of 1914, dated under International Convention, 6th December, 1913.—This invention ia an improvement on the magneto described in patent No. 8931
of 1914. The armature is mounted crosswise to the usual direction, so that its shaft passes through the poles of the permanent magnets, and to convey the magnetic flux to the armature polo pieces are provided, journalled one in each of the magnet pules, around the armature shaft. The one pole piece extends below the armature and the other above it, and they are connected together by non-magnetic material to form a kind of frame surrounding the armature.
An ignition timing cam is carried on one end of the armature shaft, arid can be rocked to adjust the time of ignition. The timing cam is rocked in unison with the pole-pieces by a , shaft in the magneto, which carries toothed segments engag!ing both the pole-pieces and the ignition timing cam.
• A. A. LINES AND TuE SPHINX MANUFACTURING Co., No. 19,737, dated 14th September, 1914. In the ordinary form of sparking plug the insulator is subject to very high temperatures at its inner end and atmospheric temperature at its outer end; it is also a poor conductor of .heat, and the uneven expansion renders it liable to breakage.
According to this invention the body of the insulator is made in two parts, An inner sleeve fits round the electrode and extends from the inner to the outer end. This part is made of some suitable ceramic, which has a very low co-efficient of expansion. Around it there is a sleeve of china, porcelain, or other material which can be glazed, and the two are secured together by inserting one in the other when it is partially set or hardened.