Call our Sales Team on 0208 912 2120

Training qualifications

9th January 2014, Page 37
9th January 2014
Page 37
Page 37, 9th January 2014 — Training qualifications
Noticed an error?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.

Which of the following most accurately describes the problem?

I Fuel tanker drivers are only one year away from requiring PDP

By Hay* Pink

FUEL TANKER drivers are now on a 12-month countdown to requiring their Petroleum Driver Passport (PDP). The new national training qualification will be necessary to access UK oil terminals from January 2015.

The PDP is an industry-led initiative, backed by the government, and was developed by the Downstream Oil Industry Distribution Forum (DODF) in the wake of the tanker driver industrial dispute in spring 2012 to improve health and safety for drivers working in the fuel sector. Every five years, drivers will be required to undertake a combination of classroom and

practical training and assessment relevant to the transportation of fuel, which will tie in with drivers' individual ADR renewal dates.

An annual classroom refresher and a practical 'load, drive and tip' assessment will also be required to keep the qualification up to date, counting towards Driver CPC hours if Jaupt-approved.

Scheme roll-out

Around 20% of an estimated 6,000 fuel tanker drivers within the UK are expected to renew their ADR qualification in 2014, equating to about 1,200 drivers required to undertake the full version of PDP this year. For the remaining 80%, whose ADR renewal dates are not until 2015 and

beyond, an interim PDP assessment will need to be taken this year. This will be a slightly cut-down version of the full PDP content, including a classroom and practical assessment. An interim passport will then be issued until these drivers are due to renew their ADR cards.

Full management of the PDP scheme will be handled by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA), which already administers the ADR qualification on behalf of the Department for Transport. • More information on where and how to obtain training can be found at • See CM 30 January for an in-depth investigation into the PDP

comments powered by Disqus