If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
• Utility is the largest manufacturer of refrigerated trailers in the world and the third largest trailer manufacturer in the US after Creat Dane and Wabash.
• In 200011 built just under 31,000 trailers in the US, but following the collapse of the US truck market in 2001 it is predicting between 18,00019,000 trailers.
• Utility builds more trailers each year in the US than the total UK trailer market.
• Utility set up its UK operation, Utility International, on 1 January 1998 having acquired a 50% stake in the old York Trailer operation at Northallerton. Since then it has manufactured 1,860 curtainsiders; 155 platforms; and 350 reefers on a new fridge trailer line.
• In 2000 Utility's operation returned its first profit of £30K on a turnover of B17m.
• In 2001 Utility is looking to sell around 1,000 trailers in the UK of which 15% will be reefers.
• Utility is a privately-owned company with its headquarters in City of Industry California, east of Los Angeles, and run by the third and fourth generations of the original Bennett family which founded the business.