Argyle 16 tanners
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
from new Scots firm
• A new name is added to the list of British goods vehicle manufacturers with the formation of Argyle Motor Manufacturing Co Ltd, by Argyle Diesel Electronics Ltd, of Glasgow. Based at 20 Flakefield, East Kilbride, Lanarks, the company has introduced its first model—the Christina—which is a 16-ton-gross four-wheeler using propriet ary components but having a 12-in.-deep chassis frame made by the concern.
Argyle plans to build haulage and tipper" versions of the Christina strictly to order and forecasts a production rate of 20 vehicles this year and 51 in 1971. The first chassis—a 1711. 3in. wheelbase truck with 23ft. long platform body—has been delivered to J. and R. Wright (Haulage) Ltd, of Rutherglen, and two vehicles have been ordered by Robert Pollok, of Maryhill.
A Perkins 6.354, 120 bhp gross diesel is employed in the chassis driving through an Eaton Yale and Towne 542 SME five-speed direct-top gearbox. An Eaton 18807 two-speed rear axle and Kirkstall front axle are fitted.
Brake sizes are 15.5 in. by 7in. all round with cam actuation and there are Westinghouse spring-brake chambers at all wheels to provide the main, secondary and parking systems. Steering is by a Burman unit with hydraulic power assistance and tyre equipment is 10.00-20, 16-ply.
The Christina has a Motor Panels all-steel cab similar to that used by other manufacturers but with a special front-end style and incorporating square head lamps; Zanetti dual-plane mirrors are fitted.
Basic price of the chassis and cab is quoted as 0,250 net. Chassis/cab weight is said to be 5.5 tons.