If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
THE END of the 13-week Southampton container dock dispute could still leave serious problems for container hauliers, according to one major operator in the city.
The confrontation over manning levels ended on Thursday last week with agreement for total manpower at the port to be reduced by 700 to 1,500. A "no strike" clause and a twoyear pay deal have been struck in an effort to reduce rates by 25 per cent and stabilise the port to regain former large customers Trio and SAECS.
One container haulier, Bob Terris of Meachers' Transport, said that even though the main dispute was over, the smaller of the two container berths — the Mayflower terminal — would not re-open. This meant an effective 15 per cent loss of work for container hauliers in the area, he said.
And that was assuming Trio and SAECS came back, Mr Terris said.