If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
Complete specifications of the following patents will be sent to any address in the United Kingdom upon receipt of eightpence per copy at the Sale Branch, Patent Office, Holborn, W.C.
11,223, dated 12th May, 1909.—The present invention rela,tes particularly to the type of ignition apparatus in which the change-over or cub-out switch is combined with the induction coil used in the battery circuit, so that they together form a single self-contained unit. The coil trembler and condenser are contained in a separate cylindrical casing, the walls of which are expanded so as to fit over a casing or box that contains the switch and terminal block for the connections. The terminals are arranged on the upper face of the terminal block and the switch is arranged on the underside thereof, and has a projecting spindle that extends through the bottom of the casing to which is attached an operating handle. It will be seen that the coil forms one unit which is readily separable from the other unit containing the switch, and, in detaching the coil fi.orn the switch all the connections are exposed to view and are readily accessible. LOCOMOTIVES.—Gebruder Sulzer.— No. 12,030, 1909.—Patent of Addition to No. 28,040, dated 8th December, 1906.— This invention relates to locomotives of the typo described in specification No. 28,040, 1906, in which an internal-combustion motor acts directly on the driving axle, and in which an auxiliary motor is provided which operates an air pump to supply air under pressure to the primary motor for the purpose of starting, the primary motor first acting as an ordinary expansion motor and, later, as an internal-combustion motor. According to the present invention, a second pump is provided which is driven by the motor through suitable gearing. This
pump is provided with high and lowpressure cylinders, the low-pressure one being for the purpose of scavenging the primary motor and the high-pressure for the purpose of providing compressed air for combustion. This pump, however, only supplies air to the primary motor during medium loads. In the case of very heavy loads, the auxiliary motor acts in the manner described in specification No. 28,040, 1906, already referred to.
CABBURF.TTER.—Tangyes, Ltd., and Another.—No. 25,728, dated 28th November, 1908.—This carburetter is con.
structed so as to ensure a constant proportion of air and fuel at all speeds of the engine. lt comprises a casing, rectangular in cross section, in which are ar ranged two pivoted flaps. Situated immediately below these flaps, is the fuel nozzle, which has a long narrow head in which is arranged a number of small ori fices for the liquid fuel. The spindles of the flaps are extended through the casing, and each has an arm mounted thereon, the free ends of the arms are connected by means of a spiral spring to lugs or projections on the easing. The spiral springs normally close the flaps over the
fuel nozzle when the engine is not running. On the engine being started, the suction caused thereby will open the flaps a certain amount, and, on the speed of the engine increasing, the flaps will be further opened proportionally, thereby maintaining a constant velocity of air past the fuel nozzle. The flaps are slightly curved so that the area of opening will increase more gradually. To one side of the casing, a spring relief valve. is arranged, which, in the event of preignition taking place, allows the gases to escape. The attachment of the hereinbefore-described flaps by suitable gear to a governor is also suggested.