KCC renews push for M20 truck park
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
THE CHANNEL Tunnel fire has pushed Kent County Council (KCC) to renew its call for a permanent truck park to replace Operation Stack.
KCC says that Operation Stack is not good for hauliers or other road users. It has marked a site off the M20 where a permanent park could be built.
But the council says it would be unfair for the cost of building a truck park to be shouldered by Kent taxpayers, and it wants Government funding.
Council leader Paul Carter says: "We have identified a site. We are clang the ground work for a planning application."
• Despite assurances that the Channel Tunnel would fully reopen, it continued to operate a minimum of four departures per direction every 120 minutes for its truck shuttle service last week.
On Monday 22 September, the tunnel reopened a 17km section of the North Tunnel, enabling it to operate 90 truck shuttles a day. As CM went to press, it was hoping to bring a second 17km stretch of the North Tunnel into service.