&fin Drivers &Mechanics
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
TEN SHILLINGS WEEKLY is paid for the best communication received, and one penny a line of ten words for anything else published, with an allowance for photographs.
Send us an account of any special incident of your work or experience. If suitable, we will edit your notes, supply a sketch when required, and pay you for everything published. Mention your employer's name, in confidence, as evidence of good faith. Address to The Editor, THE COMMERCIAL MOTOR, Rosebery Avenue, London, E.G.
Light Up Your Lamps At —
4.52 on Thursday ; 4.53 on Friday ; 4.53 on Saturday 4.55 on Monday ; 4,56 on Tuesday ; 4.57 on Wednesday.
Oil Supply on a Tylor Engine.
The sender of the following communication has been awarded the 10s, prize this week.
 " A.H.H." (Cardiff) writes —"A few months ago I was overhauling an old Tylor engine and also making a few improvements to it. The big ends and main bearings simply depended upon the splash of the connecting rods. The oil tank and pipes
had been discarded some time before, the oil now being emptied into the engine by a, pipe and filter fitted on to the top shaft of the crankcase. In order to ascertain how much oil the engine would require and so be on the accurate side when the engine was working, I fitted a tell-tale to the bottom half of the crankcase so as to show that all the bearings were sufficiently lubricated. I first drilled a hole in the bottom half at a measured point and filed it out big enough for a I in. piece of gas pipe to go in. I next got two gas lock nuts and fitted these to the pipe. I also fitted two tapered washers to the side of the crankcase. A piece of 1 in. square steel was obtained, drilled to take the other end of the pipe and screwed on to it. The block was now drilled' in. diameter again at the top and the same hole recessed slightly in. diameter for the glass tube to fit into. Two washers were now cut, one for the top of the glass and one at the bottom. A steel flat washer at the top, with a TV, in bolt right down through the centre of the glass and screwed up at the bottom of the 1 in. square steel, thus completed the job. By glancing at the gauge glass the oil level can be seen easily and the ease filled up to suit the red line on the glass. The alteration was voted a great improvement by the driver and owner of the lorry, and big-end troubles are now a thing of the past. A Novel Carbon-brush Holder Repair.
 " W. S." (Grassington) writes :—" While out with a char-h-bancs party last summer I had an experience which may prove interesting to some of the readers of your 'D. and M.' pages. I had travelled over 20 miles' which included some very stiff gradients, and had dropped my passengers for lunch. After this was over J. started-up the engine without any trouble, and had travelled about 100 yards when the engine stopped. I started-up again, but directly I opened the throttle the engine 'died out,' and I came to the conclusion that there was an obstruction in the jet„ so taking the carburetter and supply pipe down I thoroughly cleaned them all out and replaced them.
"Starting again the same trouble occurred, and as the engine itself appeared to be quite all right I concluded that something was wrong with the ignition, and running the engine for a few moments I watched the safety spark-gap of the magneto and noticed that when the throttle was open the sparks jumped the gap.
'Upon removing the magneto I found that the carbon-brush holder was cracked, thus causing leakage of the sparks. As I had not got a spare holder with me, I, of course, had to take steps to effect a repair, and at last managed to do so by purchasing a candle, by the aid of which I melted a piece of rubber tubing into the crack. This tubing, by the way, was a portion cut from that connected to one of the head lamps.
"Replacing the holder and magneto I was pleased to find that the engine ran in a satisfactory manner, and, in fact, before replacing the fresh holder by a new one, a journey of 60 miles was travelled without trouble. Sealing wax would, of course, have been just as useful, and if I had not been able to use rubber I should have purchased some at the nearest post office. At the same time I consider that I was very fortunate in tracing the trouble so quickly."