If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
• Hawley Plant Hire Co Ltd, Dartford, Kent, and York Trailer Co Ltd have jointly designed a new lightweight low-loader which York has now built for this operator.
Mr H. Staples, a director of Hawley, told CM that the outfit had been designed to work at 24tons gvw and with a high-speed knockout back axle arrangement. The overall length is 3311 8+in. and the width is 8ft 2in. The rear axle assembly is based on a York TS single axle and takes less than three minutes to remove. The assembly is raised on jacks mounted at each corner; two quickrelease pins are removed before the axle is lowered and removed from the body. The only other operation is to disconnect the brake and lighting connections which are on quick-release couplings.
Coupled to a Ford D2417 the complete outfit costs £6000.
1. This new lightweight low-loader went into service this week. Its gross weight is under 24 tons.
2. The knockout back axle is held in position by a quick-release pin arrangement.
3. Brake and light couplings are protected from site damage by a spring-loaded cover.
4. The centre piece of the back end loading ramp is an integral part of the body.