GLC ban: ruling soon
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
THE COURT of Appeal has reserved judgment on whether the London lorry ban will go ahead as planned on December 16 — and meanwhile operators wait for the news.
At the Government's appeal case against the lorry ban last week, neither Transport Secretary Nicholas Ridley nor the Greater London Council asked the judges for a speeded up judgment.
But Freight Transport Association planning and traffic services manager Don McIntyre told CM that he felt a little more hopeful about the strength of the Government's arguments at the appeal stage, compared with the first I ugh Court clash with the GLC over the ban.
As the outcome of the appeal is awaited, the GLC's transport committee has agreed to spend 1:38,000 on a pro-lorry ban publicity and information campaign.
• Lorry drivers and Londoners are to receive 1:38,000 worth of pro-lorry ban publicity and information, the GLC's transport committee decided last week.
The money will provide a video, 135,000 explanatory leaflets for drivers and London residents, and advance warning posters for the ban.
The aim is to increase public awareness of how the night and weekend ban for lorries over 16.5 tonnes will work and what benefits it will bring, GLC transport committee chair Dave Wetzel said.