Call our Sales Team on 0208 912 2120

The Motor Museum Now Open.

6th June 1912, Page 15
6th June 1912
Page 15
Page 15, 6th June 1912 — The Motor Museum Now Open.
Noticed an error?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.

Which of the following most accurately describes the problem?

Keywords : David Salomons

Historical Exhibits on View at 175-179 Oxford Street.

A representative gathering of ladies and gentlemen supported Sir David Salomons at the opening, on Friday last, of the Motor Museum, founded by .• The Motor," and the Museum is now open to the public, at a. charge of is. each, whilst members of the R.A.C., the A.A., and affiliated bodies, inclusive of members of the C.M.U.A., are admitted free of charge. The attendances have been good.

Sir David Salomons, after communicating a message of regret from H.H. the Duke of Teck, Chairman of the Trustees, called upon Mr. Edmund Dangerfield, the founder of the Museum, to make the first speech.

Mr. Dangerfield explained that it had taken nearly five months to get the collection together, and that this was largely due to the very large number of rejections which had been made, all of which called for careful consideration. The Museum Exhibition was unequalled in the world, and it was his ambition that the scheme should be taken in hand by parties stronger than himself, who would proceed with the intention of enabling the whole collection finally to be taken over by the nation.

Sir David Salomons, before proceeding to declare the Museum Exhibition open, made suitable references to the growth of the movement. He pointed out that nothing became of any value until it became scarce, and that it was at the lucky moment, when most of the " relics " were about to be scrapped, that the Temple Press had come forward and decided that it would save what might be of value to pos

terity. Mr. Dangerfield was the founder and the gnat antor of all trim, was shown there that day. A vote of thanks to Mr. Dangerfield was accorded, on the motion of the Hon. Arthur Stanley, M. P., Chairman of the R. IC., seconded by Mr. W. JoynsonHicks, M.P., Chairman of the A.A. and MW., and Mr. Dangerfield briefly replied. On the motion r)f Sir Boverton Redwood, Bart., seconded by Colonel H. C. L. Holden, LB., F.R.S., a vote of thanks was accorded Sir David Salomons for presiding and formally opening the exhibition.

" The Book of the Motor Museum," which already exceeds 80 pages of illustrations and descriptive matter., is available to all visitors who go to see the collection now on view at the commodious premises close to Oxford Circus (facing the establishment of Waring and Gillow, Ltd.) The exhibits range from motor-bicycles to steam cars, and they include, amongst other specimens, the oldest petrol car in the world that was in service at the date of the formation of the Museum—an 1891 Panhard lent by the Abbe Gavois, of Rainneville (Somme), France.

We may recall to our readers' recollection the fact that the full list of trustees is as follows : ELM the Duke of Teck, K.C.V.O. (Chairman); Sir David Salomons, Bart. (Vice-Chairman); the Hon. Arthur Stanley, M.P. ; Sir Boverton Redwood, Bart. ; Sir J. H. A. Macdonald, K_C.B. ; Col. H. C. L. Holden, CB., F.R.S. ; Edmund Dangerfield, Esq. ; Claude Johnson, Esq. ; W. Joynson-Hicks, Esq., M.P. ; and Julian W. Orde, Esq.

comments powered by Disqus