• Vehicle dimensions: Changes proposed to C&U regs early in
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
1997 to allow drawbars up to 18.75m overall length, enforcing EU Directive 96/53.
• Vehicle weights: Draft regulations published to allow vehicles engaged in piggyback road/rail operations to operate at 44 tonnes.
• Vehicle registration: Consultation launched by the DVLA on a new V5 Vehicle Registration Document.
• VED-off-road notification: Proposals from DVLA for confirmation of off road status.
• 0-licensing and Plating and Testing Draft Regulations: Published regarding exemptions from both 0-licensing and also plating and testing.
• Access to the profession: EC proposals to change the professional competence, financial standing and good repute requirements.
• Identificatior of 0-licensed vehicles: Consultation undertaken by DOT on ways the identification of 0licensed vehicles could be improved. Options are enhanced identity discs, or a national computerised database.
• VED incentives for low emission vehicles: DOT consultation issued following the Chancellor's Budget announcement of a concession of up to £500 per year from vehicle excise duty rates for lorries meeting stringent emission standards.
• Pollution prevention measures for oil and petrol storage facilities: Proposed controls to ensure oil stores are located and built to prevent leakage to, and pollution of, the water environment and that handling arrangements are appropriate.