If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
• Vehicle dimensions: Changes proposed to C&U regs early in 1997 to allow drawbars up to 18.75m overall length, enforcing EU Directive 96/53.
• 0-licensing and Plating and Testing Draft Regulations: Published regarding exemptions from both 0-licensing and also plating and testing.
• Access to the profession EC proposals to change the professional competence, financial standing and good repute requirements.
• Identification of 0-licensed vehicles: Consultation undertaken by DOT on ways the identification of 0licensed vehicles could be improved. Options are enhanced identity discs, or a national computerised database.
• VED incentives for low emission vehicles: DOT consultation issued following the Chancellor's Budget announcement of a concession of up to -£500 per year from vehicle excise duty rates for lorries meeting stringent emission standards.
• Pollution prevention measures for oil and petrol storage facilities: Proposed controls to ensure oil stores are located and built to prevent leakage to, and pollution of, the water environment and that handling arrangements are appropriate.
• Dangerous goods Safety Advisers: EC Directive requiring companies involved in the transport or loading/unloading of dangerous goods to appoint a safety adviser by 31 December 1999. Implementing legislation expected by mid-1998 to allow for training and examination of advisers.