Call our Sales Team on 0208 912 2120

Blackpool's New Coach Station Opens

4th September 1936
Page 59
Page 59, 4th September 1936 — Blackpool's New Coach Station Opens
Noticed an error?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.

Which of the following most accurately describes the problem?

BLAcKpoQus new.£60,000, coach station, which has been built on the site of the old Coliseum garage and bus park in Tyldesley Road, is to be opened to-day (Friday). Although by no means the largest in the country, there is little doubt that the station sets a new standard so far as luxury is concerned. The exterior' is faced with beige, light green and black terracotta, whilst inside, all the flooring is in terrazo; the panelling, doors and seating are in polished walnut, and the metal fittings in bronze and chromium steel.

A representative of The,Commerczal Motor, who was shown over the station by Mr. R. G. Carley, the manager, • found that a spacious arcade, centralheated, 4ivides the building into portions. On the left are a fully equipped café, messrooms for drivers and conductors, a parcels and luggage depot and a newspaper kiosk. • On the right are booking and inquiry offices resembling bank premises, managerial quarters, a row of telephones for the public, another kiosk and conveniences. lime is at hand in every room, for no fewer than 11 electric clocks have been installed throughout the station. At the rear, and on the Hopton Road side, are covered arrival and departure platforms, designed to facilitate the handling of large crowds. The station will provide shelter for something like 2,000 people.

Seven Lancashire and Yorkshire operators are among the shareholders in Blackpool Omnibus Stations, Ltd., owners of the coach centre, and the station is to be used equally by combine and independent concerns. It is understood that the combine intends to transfer several express services to the new centre, especially those operating between Manchester and Blackpool_

At some future date further development is likely, for The Commercial • Motor learns that the company has purchased a large block of buildings which border on the Tyldesley Road side of the station.


People: R. G. Carley
Locations: Manchester

comments powered by Disqus