If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it so we can fix it.
CM s Haulage Factfile page provides busy operators with brief news items on: forthcoming events, services, business products, training, company moves, personnel changes, truck thefts, UK fuel prices, and details of the worst congestion hlackspots on our already overcrowded road network. If you have information for inclusion in this section send it in to Commercial Motor, Haulage Factfile, Rm H203, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS, fax 0181 652 8971, or phone our news team on 0181 652 3670.
• 16-22 January: 15th Commercial Vehicle Show, Geneva, Switzerland, Contact: 00 41 22 761 1111.
• 5-14 February: European Road Transport Show„kmsterdam.
Contact: 00 31 20 549 1212.
• 17 February: Chartered Institute of Transport Conference, Transport Planning and Management-the impact of the new political and organisational environment, The Berkeley Hotel, London.
Contact: 0171 233 7600.
• 24-26 February: Commercial Vehicle Show, NEC.
Contact: 0171 235 7000 • 25-26 February: Freight Transport Association Industry's Freight Conference, Belfry, Warks. Contact: 01892 552302.
• 17-20 March: 15th International Transport and Logistics Week, Parc des Expositions de Paris-Nord Villepinte, Hall 6.
Contact: 00 33 1 47 56 24 57. • 19-20 March: Euromanagement's 2nd annual international conference, Successful Global Supply Chain Management-Building Competitive Advantage into your Logistics Strategy, Amsterdam.
Contact: 00 31 40 297 4948.
• 29 March-2 April: 5th International Symposium on leavy Vehicle Weights and Dimensions, Twin Waters Resort, Maroochydore, Queensland, Australia. Contact: 00 61 3 9881 1578.
• 21-24 April: TransRussia 98, Moscow. Contact: 0171 286 9720.
• 23-26 April: Tipcon, G Mex, Manchester. Contact: 01932 841515.
• 27 April: Freight "iransport Association annual dinner at the London Hilton, Park Lane, with John Prescott speaking.
Contact: 01892 526171.
• 27-29 April: 1st Automechanika AsiaAsia's trade fair for automotive manufacturing and service, World Trade Centre, Singapore. Contact: 00 65 737 1704.
• 3-4 May: Truckfest, Peterborough. Contact: 01775 768661.
• 13-15 May: IRTE, Telford Tennis Centre. Contact: 0171 235 7000.
• 30-31 May: Truckfest (Yorkshire) Driffield. Contact: 01775 768661.
• 3-5 June: International Transportation and Logistics Exhibition and Conference, Navy Pier, Chicago.
Contact: 00 33 1 47 56 5274.
• 9-11 June: Security Automotive 98/NavPos Automotive 98, National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham.
Contact: 0121 323 3667.
• 14 June: Classic Commercial Motor Show, BP Truckstop, Watling Street, Rugby. Cost: £3.
Contact: 01327 879693.
• 9-12 June: Waste Management Show, Paignton, Devon. Contact: 01604 20426.
• 4-5 July: Truckfest (South-West), Shepton Mallet. Contact: 01775 768661.
• 1-2 August: Truckfest (Scotland), Ingleston. Contact: 01775 768661. • 19-20 September: IRTE (Scotland), Glasgow. Contact: 0171 630 1111.
• 7-20 March: 15th International Transport and Logisitcs Week, Parc des Expositions de Paris-Nord, Villepinte, Hall 6.
Contact 0033 14458 2700.
1119-11 March 1999: Brityrex '99 at the National Hall, Olympia, London. Contact: 0181 313 3535.
• The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) has expressed its dissatisfaction with the administration of the Internationale des vehicules anciens (FIVA). It has decided that "alternative avenues for their work should be explored as soon as possible:It says that all member clubs will be kept advised as and when further decisions are taken.
Contact: Chairman Peter Glover on 0181 954 0048.
• Bendy Truck has opened its fourth Iveco Ford franchise on the Nuffield Industrial Estate in Poole, Dorset. The Lim purposebuilt site has created more than 20 new jobs.
Contact: 01703 271271.
• TR Group Holdings has set up a company called Dual Tank Transport to specialise in the carriage of ISO tank containers. The fleet of predominantly Renault trucks has been fitted with ancillary pumps and compressor equipment to allow tank container loads to be discharged independently.
Contact: 01844 291326.
• Essex-based insurers Sutton Transmar will open an office in Hampshire on 1 January It will cater for all sectors of the haulage industry; the branch manager will be Jill Hepberd.
Contact: 01245 477782.
• Imperial Tankers has moved from its temporary
premises at West Thurrock to a depot at Botany Way, Purfleet, Essex, RM191SR. It offers diesel bunkering, vehicle washing and secure overnight parking.
Contact: 01708 860365.
British Car & Van Rental
• British Car 8z Van Rental has opened a larger depot in Rainsford Lane, Chelmsford due to increased demand. It offers the full range of Rover vehicles, as well as Citroen, LDV and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans for personal and business hire. The Chelmsford branch serves Southend, Colchester, Braintree and Bishop's Stortford.
Contact: 01203 718700.
• Reg Forester Smith, founder of recovery vehicle manufacturer Marquiss of Scotland, who sold his interests in the company in April 1996, is now trading as Marquiss Business Services. The company is based in Kirtlebridge. Forester Smith acts as landlord and purchasing agent for a wide range of products.
Contact: 01461 500693.
• Railtrack has published the second edition of its Guide to freight connections. It contains information about over 1,000 active freight locations.
Copies are available from David Morgan, Freight Connections Manager, Railtrack PLC, Stanier House, 10 Holliday Street, Birmingham B1 ITG.
Clear the smog
• Commercial vehicle operators could benefit from a new research study that reviews the costs and environmental benefits of various low-emission fuel systems. The findings have been summarised in a special report which is being published by Greenergy UK this month.
Limited quantities are available to fleet operators free of charge. Applications for a free copy should be addressed to Technological Solutions to Vehicle Pollution, Greenergy UK Ltd, 1 Adam Street, London WC2N 6AN.
• Tibbett & Britten Clothing and Textiles has published a new brochure describing its range of logistics services for major fashion and garment retailers and suppliers. Cost: Free.
Contact: 0181 362 3484.
• Transfrigoroute UK has issued its latest Cool Guide information bulletin detailing the refrigerants available for transport refrigeration units as of August 1997. Contact: 01572 722489.
• Vehicle Solutions (UK) has launched the V-Track realtime tracking system with integrated messaging and the latest digital mapping software. It works throughout Europe and costs from
• 45 a month per vehicle or trailer. Contact: 01772 699980.
• Midlands-based nationwide express parcel company APC is launching a new service to celebrate moving its millionth parcel. For the past 18 months APC has been operating a Sunday collection/Monday delivery service throughout its 118 depots for Tesco. It is now offering a Saturday collection/Monday 09:00hrs delivery service to all customers. Contact: 01902 408040.
• Duncan Rutter has been appointed as independent chairman of ReMIT, the training arm of the Retail Motor Industry Federation.
• Torotrak (Development), a subsidiary of BTG, has named David Wallis as chairman with Rebecca Sargeant as finance director.
• Vehicle wash equipment company Valennatic has recruited Mick Ramsey as customer service director.
• Vehicle rental company BCR Car and Van Rental has appointed Carolyn Wall as operations manager for the North of England.
• Maurice Young is the new logistics development & IT director for the Frigoscandia group throughout Europe.
Town and Country
• Ipswich-based Town and Country's new operations manager is Steven Johnson.
• John Osborne is Frigoscandia Distribution's first national pallet manager.
• Home Deliverer's Skelgate Holdings managing director is now Harry Cole.
• Palletline's chief executive is now Stephen Hayward.
• Ron Evans is appointed general manager of Hempsall Truck and Van centre in Norwich.
• Norse Irish Ferries second superferry, the Logan Viking is in service. The vessel, along with sister ship the Mersey Viking, will sail from Belfast to Liverpool and is built to take advantage of the proposed river berth in Liverpool.
Contact: 01232 779090.